Facilities and Services
The School of Veterinary Medicine of JUCAVM endeavors to have strong partnership and links with both national and international organizations. These collaborations can contribute a lot in executing the teaching and learning programs, researches and capacity building in terms of manpower and facilities of the School.
Research and Extension
In addition to the teaching and learning process, the staff and students of the School are highly engaged in problem solving research activities in collaboration with national and international organizations in the areas of basic and applied research on animal and zoonotic diseases prevention and control, animal production and productivity improvement. Each year, the staff members of the School compete for Jimma University research grant and almost all win such grants. Many of the research topics are demand driven and problem solving. Team work has been a culture among the staff of the School. Besides conducting researches, our staff members are very active in publishing the output of their researches and their students’ thesis.
The School of Veterinary Medicine has a strong tradition of engaging last year veterinary students to participate in research. Both DVM and MSc students must conduct research work and present the output in theses for graduation. All final year students will be deployed in various veterinary researches and teaching institutes of the country and carry out at least a six month research work in the areas of animal health and production. In doing so, our graduates gain experience and become skillful in undertaking research works.
Final year DVM students research theses in different topics are submitted to the library to be used as reference materials for the succeeding students. Many research outputs of students have been published in international journals and contributed basic information to the scientific world and also publicizing Jimma University to the world.
Main Research areas of the school (thematic areas):
- Epidemiology of vector borne diseases
- Food borne zoonoses and food safety
- Diseases which influence food security (transboundary diseases )
- Dairy animal health ( Mastitis and Herd Health)
- Animal production, productivity and socioeconomics of animal diseases
Community Services of School of Veterinary Medicine
Veterinary Hospital and Clinical Services
- The School of Veterinary Medicine has been rendering community centered services in rural vicinity and Jimma town. The services include:
- Diagnostic and treatment services for sick farm as well as small animals and poultry
- Surgical and emergency services
- Vaccination against major livestock diseases
- Vaccination of companion animals (dogs and cats)
- Spay-neuter program
- Professional advices and consultancy services for investors and farm owners.
Veterinary Ambulatory Clinical Services
In addition to provision of veterinary health services to the community, the ambulatory clinical service will widen the spectrum of clinical practical education and skill for DVM and MSc veterinary students of the School of Veterinary Medicine.
Veterinary Teaching Hospital
The School will soon have Veterinary Teaching Hospital. It is under construction.
Facilities and Services
- General clinical service to large and small animals (diagnosis and treatment, consultancy)
- Small Animal Clinic and Surgery
- Large Animal Clinic and Surgery
- Ambulatory Services and Consultancy
- Radiographic (X-Ray) Services for small animals
- Vaccination service
- Diagnostic service upon request of costumers
- Short term training upon costumer request for veterinary professional
The School has many facilities that would help execute the teaching-learning process, research undertakings and community services effectively. The followings can be mentioned as examples.
Currently, there are five well equipped and fully functional veterinary laboratories used for demonstration of practical sessions and conducting quality researches by staff, postgraduate and undergraduate students. Namely:
- Anatomy, Embryology and Physiology Laboratory
- Microbiology and Veterinary Public Health Laboratory
- Parasitology, Pathology and Histology Laboratory
- Surgery and Gynecology Laboratory
- Research Laboratory for PhD and MSc Students
Mastitis and Milk Quality Laboratory
In addition to the services listed above, the Vet. School Milk Quality Laboratory provides bacteriology support and consultation on milk quality problems to farmers in Jimma, and will run samples for diagnosis of individual mastitis cases and for herd-based testing.
There are different animal farms run by department of animal science in the campus and outside that will play vital role for the teaching and learning processes of the School.
- Dairy Farm
- Poultry Farm
- Swine Farm
- Apiculture Farm
Other Facilities in JUCAVM:
Smart Class rooms equipped with LCD and white board
- o PC rooms, computers with internet connection
- o Two Libraries
- o Staff offices with internet connections