One Health Central and Eastern Africa (OHCEA)
OHCEA is a network of fourteen Public Health and Veterinary Higher Education Institutions that are located in six countries in the Eastern and Central Africa region, a region that includes the Congo Basin that is considered to be a “Hot Spot” for emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases. These institutions are located in Ethiopia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda.
USAID identified the HEALTH Alliance, a network of seven Schools of Public Health in Eastern Africa, as a priority network to be targeted for immediate collaborative engagement to expand RESPOND projects across the entire Congo basin. RESPOND’s strategic vision includes African university engagement and leveraging existing networks. This engagement would enhance One Health policy formation, meet local, national and regional health system needs, and contributes to sustainability.
The HEALTH Alliance (composed of Schools of Public Health) which has a history of collaboration across universities, expressed its commitment to broaden its scope and engage other relevant partners, including veterinary schools and additional university partners in the region in order to scale up implementation of One Health concept in the region.
So on October 2010, a meeting of Deans of the seven Schools of Public Health and seven Veterinary Schools from six Central and Eastern Africa region was held in Kampala, Uganda between 15th and 16th October 2010. During the meeting, it was agreed that a new network- One Health Central and Eastern Africa (OHCEA) be established by the 14 founding members namely From the 6 countries; Ethiopia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda. This institutions include;
- Jimma University College of Public Health and Medical Sciences,
- Jimma University, College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine,
- Mekelle University, College of Veterinary Medicine,
- University of Kinshasa School of Public Health,
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine University of Lubumbashi,
- University of Nairobi School of Public Health,
- University of Nairobi Faculty of Veterinary Medicine,
- Moi University School of Public Health,
- National University of Rwanda School of Public Health,
- Umutara Polytechnic Faculty of Veterinary Medicine,
- Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences
- School of Public Health and Social Sciences, Sokoine University of Agriculture,
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Makerere University,
- Makerere University School of Public Health
OHCEA is a legally registered in Uganda as a Company Limited by Guarantee & the top decision making body of the network is the Deans’ Summit that comprises all the 14 Deans of the Institutions.
The day to day activities at regional level are implemented by a fully functional OHCEA Secretariat based at the Makerere School of Public Health, Kampala Uganda under the guidance and supervision of the Board of Directors composed of seven Deans.