About the Department
The department of Medical Laboratory Sciences & Pathology (MLSP) was established in 2009 by the amalgamation of the former School of Medical Laboratory Technology (founded in 1987), Department of Microbiology, Parasitology & Immunology (which was founded in 1985), Department of Pathology (founded in 1985), and Clinical Laboratory Unit (which was also founded in 1985) following the recommendation made by business process reengineering (BPR) study group undertaken in the university. In that redesigning process, Jimma University Specialized Hospital (JUSH) diagnostic laboratory and pathology section are also organised under the umbrella of the Department of MLSP in collaboration with the hospital clinical and administration team under the College of Public Health and Medical Sciences. Thus, the composition and activities of the department reflect those of its constituent former departments and units.
The department is one of the largest in size and composition of staffs derived from the various merged departments. It encompasses about 70 academic staff at different level of education (i.e. from Technical Assistants to Associate professors) who are involved in different tasks including teaching, training and mentoring for undergraduate, and post-graduate students, involving in research works, community and diagnostic services. On the other hand, currently, there are 36 Medical Laboratory professionals at the hospital service laboratory of JUSH.
With this little introduction about the department, I would like to welcome you to our website and browse for more information about the entire program we are running.
- To train students and produce highly qualified and competent laboratory personnel in the area of Medical Laboratory Science in the undergraduate program
- To train students and produce highly qualified personnel at advanced level (specialty) in the area of Medical Microbiology, Medical Parasitology, Hematology & Immunohematology, Clinical Chemistry and Pathology in graduate study program.
- To produce a competent and qualified personnel at PhD rank in Tropical & Infectious Diseases field of study
- To train students in all other health science disciplines in the college or university
- To provide quality diagnostic clinical laboratory and pathology service to the community
- To undertake basic research aimed at reducing morbidity and mortality in the community
- To communicate our findings to the scientific community and the general public
To produce highly qualified health professionals in all fields of study (Medical Laboratory Science (baccalaureate), Medical Microbiology (MSc), Medical Parasitology (MSc), Clinical Laboratory Sciences specialty in Clinical Chemistry or Hematology & Immunohematology (MSc), Specialty in Pathology, and Tropical Infectious Diseases (PhD) through its community based educational philosophy who will be competent in health care delivery, other health services and programs in the country and beyond.
To become one of the best place in producing competent and problem solving health professionals in the country that is helped by the philosophy of using community-based educational strategy of Jimma University.
The department has projected the demand of qualified professionals in the field and is planning to begin PhD programs in the fields of Medical Microbiology and Medical Parasitology.
The department is organized into different sub-units to help the execution of official duties in smoothly manner.