About the Departement
Generally the program deals with the arts and science of managing and administering the function of government; leading and administering non-governmental organizations; managing and coordinating development activities; initiating, planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating development projects; community mobilization and problem solving etc.
- Producing competent and quality educated manpower in the programs the department run
- Engaging in researches and projects based on the thematic areas of the university
- Reaching the community basically through the community base educations and Develeiopmental team training programs in graduate classes
- Empowering different institutions of the region as well as South western part of the country
To became the center of academic excellence in Governance and Development Studies by adopting a newly emerging paradigms and development thinking as well as practices in areas of governance and development which lay the ground for the advancement of good governance and sustainable development in Ethiopia.
- The mission of the programs is to offer education that emphasizes on the pursuit of knowledge through research and institution and the development of a critical understanding on the issues of governance and development both nationally and internationally.
The chief executive of the department is the head and followed by the vice.
The admission criteria to the undergraduate program are the criteria set by the ministry of education. Candidates to the MA program are recruited based on a cumulative assessment of their academic performance on their undergraduate program, results from entrance exam prepared by the department, interview if needed and for female applicants some points are allotted as an affirmative action.