Meeting National Development Challenges through Sciences, Technology and Innovation
Prof. Gebisa Ejeta
Distinguished Professor/2009 World Food Prize Laureate
Place: JUCAVM Main Hall
Date and Time: Monday (July 2, 2012) at 2:00 PM
- Gebisa Ejeta was born and raised in a small rural community in west-central Ethiopia.
- He completed his early education in Ethiopia including a BS in Plant Sciences from Alemaya College in 1973.
- He attended graduate school at Purdue University (USA) earning his Masters (1976) and PhD (1978) in Plant Breeding & Genetics.
- He currently holds the position of Distinguished Professor of Plant Breeding & Genetics and International Agriculture at Purdue University.
- Professor Ejeta has served on numerous science and program review panels, technical committees, and advisory boards of major research and development organizations including the international agricultural research centers (IARCs), the Rockefeller Foundation, the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) of the United Nations, and a number of national and regional organizations in Africa.
- He was a member of the team that launched the Alliance for Green Revolution in Africa, a joint effort of the Rockefeller and Gates Foundation. Dr. Ejeta has served the Consultative Group for International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). He is also a board member of Sasakawa Africa Program.
- Prof. Gebisa Ejeta was recently designated special advisor to USAID Administrator Dr. Rajiv Shah.
- Prof.. Gebisa Ejeta is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, a Fellow of the Crop Science Society of America, and a Fellow of the American Society of Agronomy. Honorable Awards: Among his many awards, Gebisa Ejeta was the recipient of the 2009 World Food Prize; and a National Medal of Honor from the President of Ethiopia.
Organized by Jimma University, Let us meet at JUCAVM Hall