Dr. Jemal A/Fita A/Bulgu
Full Name:JEMAL ABAFITA ABABULGU (PhD)
Academic Rank: Associate Professor
College/Institute: Business and Economics College
Field of Specialization: Agricultural and Resource Economics
Research Interest: Food security, child health and schooling, rural credit, microfinance, gender differences in resource distribution
Current Position:- President, Jimma University
- Child Nutrition and Educational Attainmentin Ethiopia;
- Commercialization of food grain among smallholders;
- Bilateral coffee trade (patterns, trends, trade margins…
- Gravity modeling); Microfinance and children’s wellbeing.
List of Publications:
- Collier, S., Markos, T., Henderson, T., Abafita, J., Tarbi, E., Pietras, A. and Chemali, Z. (2012). Microfinance and Women’s Health: an Evaluation of Women’s Health in Jimma, Ethiopia, International Journal of Culture and Mental Health, 5(2), 1-10
- Kim, K.R and Abafita, J (2012). Agricultural Development in Myanmar: Lessons from Korean Experience, Korean Journal of International Agriculture, 24(2): 136-151
- Abafita, J. Fikadu, M., and Kim, K.R.(2013). Korea’s Saemaul Undong (New Village Movement): A Model for Rural Development in Ethiopia? Korean Journal of International Agriculture, 25(3): 217-230
- Hanh, N. V., Abafita, J., and Jung-Shin, H. (2014). Estimating Nonmarket Values in Halong Bay, Vietnam: A View from Theory of Planned Behavior. Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, 5(5), 24-37.
- Abafita, J., and Kim, K. R. (2014). Determinants of Household Food Security in Rural Ethiopia: An Empirical Analysis. Journal of Rural Development, 37(2), 129-157.
- Abafita, J., and Kim, K. R. (2014). Children’s Schooling in Rural Ethiopia: The Role of Household Food Security, Parental Education and Income. Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, 5(14), 19-32.
- Kim, K.R. and Abafita, J. (2014). Price Transmission in Ethiopia’s Coffee Value Chain. Korean Journal of Agricultural Economics, 53(3), 165-189.
- Abafita, J. and Kim, C.S. (2015). Determinants of Children’s Schooling: The Case of Tigray Region, Ethiopia. Educational Research and Reviews, 10(8), 1130-1146. Page 9 / 16
- Abafita, J., Badassa, W., Kassahun, E., Kim, K.R., and Kim, K.C. (2015). Khat use and its impact on academic performance: The case of Jimma University, Ethiopia. Educational Research and Reviews, 10(15), 2084-2095.
- Kim, K.R and Abafita, J (2015). Korea’s Rural Development Cooperation and the Saemaul Undong: Transferability and Limitations. Korean Journal of International Agriculture, 33(2): 1-25.
- Abafita, J., Atkinson, J. and Kim, C.S (2016) Commercialization Smallholder commercialization in Ethiopia: Market orientation and participation. International Journal of Food Research, 33(4):1797-1807.
- Assefa, A., Abafita, J., & Etensa, T. (2017). Economic Valuation of Borena-Sayint National Park, Ethiopia: An Application of Contingent Valuation Method. Journal of Environment and Earth Science, 7(12): 14-27.
- Abdissa, H., Shewangizaw, M., Abafita, J. & Chala, B.W. (2019). Do Households Diversify Energy Sources or Switch to New Sources in Ethiopia? A Case Study in Wolkite Town, Journal of Energy Technologies and Policy, 9(1): 21-32. DOI: 10.7176/JETP/9-1-03
- Tadesse, T. & Abafita, J. (2019). The causality between Financial Development and Economic Growth in Ethiopia: Supply Leading vs Demand Following Hypothesis, Journal of Economics and Financial Analysis, 3 (1): 87-115. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1991/jefa.v3i1.a25
Chapters in Books and Other Contributions
- Kim, K.R and Abafita, J (2013). Ethiopian Agriculture and Development Cooperation. In World Agriculture, Korea Rural Economic Institute (KREI), Vol. 153: 97-112. Updated Jan 2019, Jimma, Ethiopia Page 10 / 16
- Abafita, J. (2015). Ethiopia’s Fight against Poverty: Winning or Losing the Battle? A newsletter contribution, Institute of Poverty Alleviation and International Development, Yonsei University, Korea
- Abafita, J. (2010). Loan Repayment, Rationing and Borrowers Screening in Micro-Finance Credit: Evidence from Borrowers of Oromia Credit and Savings Share Co. (OCSSCO) in Kuyu, Ethiopia. In Getinet A. (Ed) proceedings of the 7th International Conference on the Ethiopian Economy, Addis Ababa
- Dereje, B., Abafita J., Kefelegn, G., Abraham, B., Ayalew T., Kitessa H. (2010). Assessment of land degradation in selected villages of Gilgel Gibe catchment, Jimma zone, southwest Ethiopia: A PRA report. A paper presented at the National Workshop on Challenges and Prospects of Integrated Watershed Management on People’s Livelihood and Sustainability of Dams in Ethiopia, 4-5 Jan 2010, Jimma, Ethiopia
- Jemal A. (2009). Analysis of Loan Repayment, Rationing and Borrowers Screening in Micro-Finance Credit: the Case of the Oromia Credit and Savings Share Co. (OCSSCO) in Kuyu, Ethiopia. A Paper Presented at the 7th International Conference on the Ethiopian Economy Organized by the Ethiopian Economic Association, 25-27 June 2009, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Kim, K.R. and Abafita, J. (2014). Price Transmission in Ethiopia’s Coffee Value Chain. A Paper Presented at the Japan-Korea Symposium, Dec 2014, Chuncheon, Korea
- Abafita, J. and Kim, K.R. (2014). Determinants of Household Food Security in Ethiopia. A Poster Presentation at the Japan-Korea Symposium, Dec 2014, Chuncheon, Korea Page 11 / 16
- Jemal, A. (2015). The Role of Universities in Regional Development and Innovation. Presentation at the International Conference on Regional Innovation Cooperation held at Samarkand Agricultural Institute (SAI), June 2015, Samarkand, Uzbekistan
Membership in academic associations and academic related committee, councils, groups:
- Full member of Ethiopian Economic Association
To read more about Dr. Jemal Abafita Please click this link