Prof. Kifle W/Michael
Summary of Qualifications and Professional Experiences
Kifle Woldemichael Hajito is a Professor at the Department of Epidemiology, College of Health Sciences, Jimma University, Ethiopia, where he teaches Epidemiology and Research Methods, as well as advises graduate and undergraduate students in their research undertakings. He is also serving as a Board Member of Bonga University. In terms of qualifications, he obtained Masters of Public Health degree from Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia in 1997, and Doctorate Degree in Medicine from Palacky University, Czechoslovakia in 1988.
He is currently serving as the Director of ResilientAfrica Innovation Lab (RI-Lab) for Horn of Africa, Focal Person for One Health Central and Eastern Africa (OHCEA) and Chairperson of the Country Coordinating Committee (CCC). He also serves as a Principal Investigator for Monitoring and Evaluation Training Program of the University. From 2006 to 2011, Professor Kifle served as Chairperson of the Council of Ethiopian Public Heath Training Initiative (EPHTI). Moreover, he has been a board member of HEALTH Alliance as well as Regional Center for Quality of Health Care - Technical Advisory Board (RCQHC)/TAB since 2008. He served as the Dean of Public Health Faculty, Jimma University for seven years (2002-2009) and as a Coordinator of Student Research Program of the University for three Years, (2000-2002). Previously, he had served as the Medical Director of a general hospital and District Health Manager for two and half years and three and half years respectively. His research focus is on adolescent reproductive health, infectious diseases (malaria, Tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS) and chronic illnesses. He has many publications in different peer reviewed scientific journals.
- 1996-1997: Masters of Public Health (MPH), Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia
- 1980-1988: Doctor of Medicine, Palacky University, Czechoslovakia.
Responsibilities Assumed within Jimma University
- 2015: Editorial member, Ethiopian Journal of Health Sciences (EJHS)
- 2013: Director, for Resilience Innovation Lab (RI-Lab) for Horn of Africa
- 2011: Member, Committee for the preparation of Jimma University Award Guideline. The committee has prepared the draft document and submitted it to the University Management.
- 2010-current: Focal person, One Health Central and Eastern Africa (OHCEA) and Chairperson of the Country Coordinating Committee (CCC). OHCEA is formed by seven schools of Public Health and Seven Schools of Veterinary Medicine from Six Central and Eastern African Countries to holistically address the health of human, animals and the environment. Two of our Public Universities (Jimma and Mekelle) through College of Public Health and Medical Sciences and School of Veterinary Medicine from JU and College of Veterinary Medicine from MU are members of the Network. A country Coordinating Committee (CCC) has been established to operate under the leadership of the Deans and I am currently chairing the committee. Federal Ministries of (Health, Education and Agriculture), Environmental Protection Authority, Ethiopian Wildlife Conservation Authority, Ethiopian Health and Nutrition Research Institute, Ethiopian Public Health Association, Ethiopian Veterinary Association, Mekelle University School of Public Health, Mekelle University College of Veterinary Medicine, Jimma University School of Veterinary Medicine and Jimma University College of Public Health and Medical Sciences are members of the CCC.
- 2008-current: Board member, Higher Education Alliance for Leadership through Health (HEALTH). The Alliance is formed by the following schools of public health: Makerere University School of Public Health, Muhimbili University School of Public Health, Moi University School of Public Health, Nairobi University Department of Community Health, Jimma University Faculty of Public Health, Kinshasa University School of Public Health and University of Rwanda School of Public Health. As one of the founding Deans of the Alliance I have facilitated leadership training for all heads of Departments of the then Faculty of Public Health. Moreover, I was instrumental for the formation of a national team consisting of staffs from Jimma University (Public Health Faculty and College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine), Federal Ministry of Health, Jimma Red Cross Society, Jimma Disaster Prevention and Preparedness to first get TOT and then conduct training on public health emergency management in our country. As the result three trainings had been conducted for all Regions through budget support from the HEALTH Alliance. I have also been involved as a facilitator of the training.
- 2002-2009: Dean, Public health faculty, Jimma University. During my tenure, I have contributed to the initiation of the first graduate level training in the University. Nine of the graduate programs in the former Faculty of Public Health were initiated during my deanship.
- 2005-current: Principal Investigator (PI) for Health Monitoring and Evaluation MSc TrainingProgram. This program has been initiated through the partnership of the Federal Ministry of Health, Tulane University and Jimma University. It is the first of its kind in Africa, and only second to Brazil in the World.
- 1999-2002: Co-ordinator, Student Research Program (SRP)
1999-2001: Served as Secretary of the Community Health Programme council.
1993-1995: Medical Director, Mizan Teferi Hospital
1989-1992: District Health Manager, Teppi/ Yeki District
Other Responsibilities assumed outside Jimmy University
- 2016: Board Member, Bonga University
- 2008-current: Technical Advisory Board (TAB) member, Regional Centre for Quality of Health Care (RCQHC). This Centre was established in 1999 with the objective of enhancing quality of health care in twenty different African countries inclusive of Ethiopia. The Centre is located in Makerere University, School of Public Health, Kampala, Uganda. The current TAB committed itself is for keeping up the regional nature of the Centre and for its autonomous status from Makerere University to which it is affiliated
- 2006-2011: I served as the Chairperson of the Council of Ethiopia Public Heath Training Initiative (EPHTI)
Courses Taught/ Facilitated:
- Epidemiology for both undergraduate (since 1998) and graduate students (since 2005).
- Research Methods for various categories of health science students.
- Disaster Prevention and Preparedness course for both undergraduate and graduate students
- Facilitated in-service trainings on Primary Health Care (PHC) for health professionals from Gambella Regional State, Somalia Regional State and Kaffa Zone
- Facilitated three trainings of Integrated Management of Childhood Illnesses (IMCI)
- Facilitated a training course on Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR).
- Served as a chair of board of external examiners in (Gondar University, Mekelle University, Haromaya University and Addis Continental Institute of Public Health)
Short Courses Attended
- 2011(Feb): Leadership training workshop organized for OHCEA focal persons in Kigali, Rwanda
- 2009 (Feb): Comprehensive Systematic Review Training” held at Joanna Briggs International Centre for Evidence-Based Nursery and Midwifery, London, United Kingdom (UK).
- 2008 Feb): International short course on health monitoring and evaluation in Addis Ababa
- 2007 (Jul): Training on Evaluation by The Evaluators’ Institute (TEI) in Washington, USA
- 2006 (Dec): Training on Effective project management in Zanzibar, Tanzania.
- 2005 (Jul): Pedagogical skills training
- 2004 (Jan): TOT on counselling skills by Jimma University in collaboration with Huddersfield University.
- 2003: Training on Treatment of Severe Malnutrition in 2003
- 2002 (Sept): TOT, Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR)
- 2000 (March): Facilitation Skills Course on Integrated Management of Childhood Illnesses (IMCI)
- 1999 (Dec): Follow up Skills Course on Integrated Management of Childhood Illnesses
- 1999 (August): Case Management Course on Integrated Management of Childhood Illnesses.
- 1998 (Dec): Training Course on Medical Education
- 1995 (April): Health Management Training
- 1992 (Dec): TOT in Family Planning
Teaching Materials Preparation
1. Kifle Woldemichael, Amare Deribew, Fessehaye Alemseged, Sahilu Assegid, Lelisa Sena. Epidemiology module for MPH program in Distance modality
2. Kifle Woldemichael, Yigzaw Kebede, Kidist Lulu. Epidemiology Lecture Note for Health Science Students
3. Lelisa Sena, Kifle Woldemichael. Disaster Preparedness and Prevention Lecture Note for Health Science Students
Researches and Publications
- 1. Negalign Berhanu, Hailay Abrha, Yohannes Ejigu, Kifle Woldemichael. Knowledeg, Experience and Training Needs of Health Professionals about Disaster Preparedness and Response in Southwest Ethiopia: a cross sectional study. Ethiop J Health Sci, Sept 2016; 6(5): 415-426.
- 2. Kassahun Mengistu, Mulugeta Shegaze, Kifle Woldemichael, Hailay Abrha,Yohannes Markos. Prevalence and Factors associated with Trachoma among Children aged 1-9 years in Zala District, Gamo Gofa Zone, Southern Ethiopia. Clinical Ophthalmology 2016; 10: 1-8.
- 3. Desta Hiko Gemeda, Abiot Girma Sime, Kifle Woldemichael Hajito, Benti Deresa Gelalcha, Wubit Tafese, Tsegaye Tewelde Gebrehiwot. Health Care Providers’ Knowledge and Practice Gap towards Joint Zoonotic Disease Surveillance System: Challenges and Opportunities, Gomma District, Southwest Ethiopia. BioMed Research International Volume 2016, Article ID 3942672, 8 pageshttp://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/3942672.
- 4. Nebiyu Masresha, Kifle Woldemichael, Lamessa Dube. Knowledge of obstetric danger signs and associated factors among pregnant women in Erer district, Somali region, Ethiopia. BMC Women’s Health (2016) 16:30 DOI 10.1186/s12905-016-0309-3.
- 5. Desalegn Massa, Kifle Woldemichael, Birtukan Tsehayneh, Amanuel Tesfay. Treatment outcome of severe acute malnutrition and determinants of survival in Northern Ethiopia: A prospective cohort study. International Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism, Vol. 8(3): 12-23, April 2016, DOI: 10.5897/IJNAM2015.0193
- 6. Sultan Suleman, Abdulkadir Woliyi, Kifle Woldemichael, Kora Tushune, Luc Duchateau, Agnes Degroote, Roy Vancauwenberghe, Nathalie Bracke, Bart De Spiegeleer. Pharmaceutical Regulatory Framework in Ethiopia: A Critical Evaluation of Its Legal Basis and Implementation. Ethiop J Health Sci; 26 (3)259-276 May 2016.
- 7. Tsegaye Tewelde G/Hiwot, Abiot Girma Sime, Benti Deresa, Wubit Tafese, Kifle Woldemichael Hajito, Desta Hiko Gemeda. Community Health Seeking Behavior for Suspected Human and Animal Rabies Cases, Gomma District, Southwest Ethiopia. PLOS ONE | DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0149363 March 9, 2016
- 8. Abayneh Birlie, Getnet Tesfaw, Tariku Dejene, Kifle Woldemichael. Time to death and associated factors among Tuberculosis Patients in Dangla woreda, Northwest Ethiopia. PLOS ONE | DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0144244 December 15, 2015.
- 9. Yibeltal Kiflie Alemayehu, Katherine Theall, Wuleta Lemma, Kifle Woldemichael Hajito, Kora Tushune. The Role of Empowerment in the Association between a Woman’s Educational Status and Infant Moratlity in Ethiopia: Secondary Analysis of Demographic and Health Surveys. Ethiop J Health Sci; 25(4): 353-362 October 2015 DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/ejhs.v25i4.9.
- 10. Kifle Woldemichael Hajito, HailayAbrhaGesesewa, NegalignBerhanuBayu , YohannesEjiguTsehay. Community awareness and perception on hazards in Southwest Ethiopia: Across-sectional study. International Journal of Disaster Risk 13 (2015) 350-357.
- 11. Tsegaye Gebre Argago, Kifle Woldemichael Hajito, Sena Belina Kitila. Client’s satisfaction with Family Planning services and associated factors among family planning users in Hossana town public health facilities, South Ethiopia: Facility based cross-sectional study. International Journal of Nursing and Midwifery; Vol. 7(5), pp 74-83 May 2015. DOI:10.5897/IJNM2015.0163, Article Number: 8C48F9852248, ISSN 2141 – 2456.
- 12. Feyie Bonsa, Esayas Kebede Gudina, Kifle Woldemichael Hajito. Prevalence of Hypertension and Associated Factors in Bedele town, Southwest Ethiopia. Ethiop J Health Sci 2014, 24(1): 21-26.
- 13. Kirubel Zemedkun, Kifle Woldemichael, Gobezie Tefera. Assessing control of Asthma in JUSH, Jimma, Southwest Ethiopia. Ethiop J Health Sci 2014, 24(1): 49-58.
- 14. Bedilu Deribe, Kifle Woldemichael, Gugsa Nemera. Prevalence and factors influencing diabetic foot ulcer among patients attending Arbaminch Hospital, South Ethiopia. Journal of Diabetes and Metabolism 2014. Review Article. Open Access.
- 15. Delenasaw Yewhalaw, Yehenew Getachew,Kora Tushune, Kifle Woldemichael, Wondwossen Kassahun, Luc Duchateau, Niko Speybroek. The effect of dams and seasons on malaria incidence and anopheles abundance in Ethiopia. BMC Infectious Diseases 2013, 13:161 doi 10: 1186/1471-2334-13-161.
- 16. Ayalew T. Muluneh, Abraham Haileamlak, Fasil Tessema, Fessehaye Alemseged, Kifle Woldemichael, Makonnen Assefa, Yoseph Mamo, Solomon Tamiru, Gemeda Abebe, Amare Deribew, Muluneh Abebe. Population based survey of Chronic non communicable diseases at Gilgel Gibe field research center, Southwest Ethiopia. Ethiop J Health Sci.2012, 22: 7-18 (Special issue).
- 17. Fessehaye Alemseged, Abraham Haileamlak, Ayalew Tegen, Fasil Tessema, Kifle Woldemichael, Makonnen Asefa, Yoseph Mamo, Solomon Tamiru, Gemeda Abebe. Risk factors for chronic non communicable diseases at Gilgel Gibe Field Research Center, Southwest Ethiopia: Population based study. Ethiop J Health Sci 2012, 22: 19-28 (special issue).
- 18. Fasil Tessema, Abraham Haileamlak, Ayalew T. Muluneh, Fessehaye Alemseged, Kifle Woldemichael, Makonnen Asefa, Yoseph Mamo, Solomon Tamiru, Gemeda Abebe. Physical measurement profile at Gilgel Gibe Field Research Center, Southwest Ethiopia. Ethiop J Health Sci 2012, 22:29-37 (special issue).
- 19. Abraham Haileamlak, Ayalew T. Muluneh, Fessehaye Alemseged, Fasil Tessema, Kifle Woldemichael, Makonnen Asefa, Yoseph Mamo, Solomon Tamiru, Gemeda Abebe. Hematoimmunological profile at Gilgel Gibe Field Research Center, Southwest Ethiopia. Ethiop J Health Sci 2012, 22:39-50 (special issue).
- 20. Kifle Woldemichael, , Abraham Haileamlak, Ayalew T. Muluneh, Fessehaye Alemseged, Fasil Tessema, Makonnen Asefa, Yoseph Mamo, Solomon Tamiru, Gemeda Abebe. Biochemical profile at Gilgel Gibe Field Research Center, Southwest Ethiopia. Ethiop J Health Sci 2012, 22: 51-59 (special issue).
- 21. Amare Deribew, Gemeda Abebe, Ludwig Aspers, Alemseged Abdissa, Fetene Deribe, Kifle Woldemichael, Challi Jira, Markos Tesfaye, Jafar Shiffa, Abraham Aseffa, Mesele Bezabih, Tadiye Tebeje and Robert Colebunders. Prevalence of Pulmonary TB and spoligotype pattern of Mycobacterium tuberculosis among TB suspects in a rural community Southwest Ethiopia. BMC Infectious Diseases 2012, 12:54 http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2334/12/54.
- 22. Tsion Assefa, Mirkuzie Woldie, Shimeles Ololo, Kifle Woldemichael. Patient safety practices and medical errors: Perception of health care providers at Jimma University Specialized Hospital, Southwest Ethiopia. Open Journal of Preventive Medicine. Vol.2, No.2, 162-170 (2012) Open Journal of Preventive Medicine doi:10.4236/ojpm.2012.22024
- 23. Melese Gezahegn, Kifle Woldemichael, Ameyu Godesso. HIV Sero-prevalence trend among blood donors in Jimma University Specialized Hospital, Southwest Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal of Health Sciences 2012:22(1):37-43.
- 24. Kifle Woldemichael, Negalign Berhanu. Magnitude and Pattern of Injury in Jimma University Specialized Hospital, Southwest Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal of Health Sciences 2011:21 (3): 155-165.
- 25. Daniel Zewdneh, Kifle Woldemichael, Sosena Kebede. Communication skills of physicians during patient interaction in an in-patient setting at Tikur Anbessa Specialized Teaching Hospital (TASH), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 2009. Ethiop. J. Health Dev. 2011; 25 (1): 3-9.
- 26. Tefera Belachew Craig Hadley, David Lindstrom, Abebe Gebre Mariam, Kifle Woldemichael, Yehenew Getachew, Carl Lachat, Patrick Kolsteren. Gender Differences in Food Insecurity and Morbidity among Adolescents in Southwest Ethiopia. Pediatrics 2011; 127:e397-e404.
- 27. Gemeda Abebe, Amare Deribew, Ludwig Aspers, Kifle Woldemichael, Jaffer Shiffa, Markos Tesfaye, Alemseged Abdissa, Fetene Deribie, Challi Jira, Mesele Bezabih, Abraham Assefa, Luc Duchateau, Robert Colebunders. Knowledge, Health seeking behavior and perceived stigma towards tuberculosis among tuberculosis suspects in a rural community in Southwest Ethiopia. PLoS One, October 2010; 5(10): 1-7.
- 28. Kebede Deribe, Kifle Woldemichael, Bernard Joseph Njau, Bereket Yakob, Sibhatu Biadgilign, Alemayehu Amberbir. Gender differences regarding barriers and motivators of HIV status disclosure among HIV-positive service users. Journal of Social Aspects of HIV/AIDS, July 2010; 7(1): 94-103.
- 29. Kebede Deribe, Sibhat Biadgilign, Alemayehu Amberbir, Tefera Belachew, Kifle Woldemichael. The Road to Maternal Death. Ethiopian Journal of Health Sciences 2010: 20(1); 71-74.
- 30. Dawit Worku, Leja Hamza, Kifle Woldemichael. Patterns of Diabetic complications at Jimma University Specialized Hospital, Southwest Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal of Health Sciences 2010: 20(1); 33-39.
- 31. Amare Deribew, Gemeda Abebe, Ludwig Aspers, Challi Jira, Markos Tesfaye, Jafar Shifa, Alemseged Abdissa, Kifle Woldemichael, Fetene Deribie, Mesele Bezabih, Abraham Assefa, Robert Colebunders. Prejudice and misconceptions about tuberculosis and HIV in rural and urban communities in Ethiopia: a challenge for the TB/HIV control program, BMC Public Health 2010, 10: 400.
- 32. Daniel Yirga, Kebede Deribe, Kifle Woldemichael, Mekitie Wondafrash, Wondwossen Kassahun. Factors associated with compliance with community directed treatment with ivermectin for onchocerciasis control in Southwestern Ethiopia. Parasites & Vectors 2010, 3:48
- 33. Delenasaw Yewhalaw, Wondwossen Kassahun, Kifle Woldemichael, Kora Tushune, Morankar Sudaker, Daniel Kaba, Luc Duchateau, Wim Van Bortel, Niko Speybroecke. The influence of the Gilgel Gibe hydroelectric dam in Ethiopia on caregivers’ knowledge, perceptions and health-seeking behaviour towards childhood malaria. Malaria Journal, 2010, 9:47.
- 34. Abebe G.Mariam, Assefa Hailemariam, Tefera Belachew, Kifle Woldemichael, David Lindstrom. Support for the Continuation of Female Genital Mutilation among adolescents in Jimma Zone, Southwest Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal of Health Sciences 2009: 19 (2); 119 – 129.
- 35. Moshi Herman, Dennis Hogan, Tefera Belachew Fasil Tessema, Abebe Gebremariam, David Lindstrom, Craig Hadley, Challi Jira and Kifle Woldemichael. Better- educated youth as a vanguard of social change? Adolescent transitions to later marriage and lower fertility in Southwest Ethiopia. In (eds): Charles Teller and Assefa Hailemariam. The Demographic Transition and Development in Africa. PP:89-101.
- 36. Daniel Yirga, Kifle Woldemichael, Mekitie Wondafrash, Wondwossen Kassahu, Kebede Deribe. Knowledge and Belief about Cause and Prevention of Onchocerciasis in Bebeka, Southwest Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal of Health Sciences 2008: 18(3); 65-70.
- 37. Kifle Woldemichael, Fasil Tessema, Sofonias Getachew, Lelisa Sena, Kunuz Abdella. Community Based Survey of Injury and Violence in Jimma Zone, Southwest Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal of Health Sciences 2008; 17(4):179-188).
- 38. Alemayehu Amberbir, Kifle Woldemichael, Sofonias Getachew, Belaineh Girma, Kebede Deribe. Predictors of adherence to antiretroviral therapy among HIV-infected persons: a prospective study in Southwest Ethiopia. BMC Public Health 2008, 8:265 doi:10.1186/1471-2458-8-265
- 39. Kebede Deribe, Kifle Woldemichael, Mekitie Wondafrash, Amaha Haile, Alemayehu Amberbir. Disclosure experience and associated factors among HIV positive men and women clinical service users in southwest Ethiopia. BMC Public Health 2008, 8: 81.
- 40. Kebede Deribe, Kifle Woldemichael, Mekitie Wondafrash, Amah Haile, Alemayehu Amberbir. High risk behaviours and associated factors among HIV positive individuals in clinical care in southwest Ethiopia. (Tropical Doctor 2008; 00: 1-3).
- 41. Tatek Wondimu, Kifle Woldemichael, Wondwossen Kasahun, Sofonias Getachew. Delay in Initiating Tuberculosis Treatment and Factors Associated among Pulmonary Tuberculosis Patients in East Wollega, Western Ethiopia. (Ethiop. J. Health Dev. 2007; 21(2): 148 - 156).
- 42. Negalign Berhanu, Kifle Woldemichael, Mesele Bezabih. Endemic goitre in school children in South-western Ethiopia. (Ethiop. J. Health Dev. 18(3): 175 – 178, 2004).
- 43. Damtew Dagoye, Zegeye Bekele, Kifle Woldemichael, Hailu Nida, Meselech Yimam, Andrea J. Venn, Andy Hall, John R. Briton, Sarah A. Lewis, T Mckeveer, and Richard Hubbard. Domestic Risk factors for wheeze in urban and rural Ethiopian children. QJM 97 (8): 489 – 498, 2004).
- 44. Kifle Woldemichael, Tefera Belachew, Challi Jira. Tuberculosis Defaulters from the “DOTS” Regimen in Jimma Zone, Southwest Ethiopia. (Ethiopian Medical Journal, 42 (4): 247 – 253, 2004).
- 45. Damtew Dagoye, Zegeye Bekele, Kifle Woldemichael, Hailu Nida, Meselech Yimam, Andy Hall, Andrea J. Venn, John R. Briton, Richard Hubbard, and Sarah A. Lewis. Wheezing, Allergy, and Parasite Infection in Children in Urban and Rural Ethiopia (Am J Respir Crit Care Med 167. pp 1369 - 1373, 2003).
- 46. Maruf Abera, Kifle Woldemichael, Indrias Lemma. Child Labour and Associated Problems in Shebe Rural Town, Jimma Zone, Southwest Ethiopia. (Ethiop. J. health Dev. 17(1):45-52, 2003).
- 47. Abate Argaw, Kifle Woldemichael, Nebreed Fisseha. Prevalence of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) and Attitude of Mothers towards It in Serbo Town. (Ethiop. J Health Sci.; 12(2): July 2002).
- 48. Asheti Negassa, Kifle Woldemichael, Ashenafi Negash. Knowledge, Attitude and Practice of Trained Traditional Birth Attendants on HIV/AIDS Prevention in Jimma Town, South West Ethiopia. (Ethiopian Journal of Health Sciences, 11 (2): 123-129, 2001).
Longitudinal study on adolescent health in Jimma Zone (27 policy briefs had been prepared and published)
Membership in Professional Associations
1. Life long member of Ethiopian Public Health Association (EPHA)
2. Ethiopian Medical Association (EMA)
3. Higher Education Alliance for Leadership Through Health (HEALTH)
4. One Health Central and Eastern Africa (OHCEA)
5. ResilientAfrica Network (RAN)