Prof. Derbew Belew
Derbew Belew was born in 1963 in Gojjam. He is married and father of a daughter. He has a Diploma in Crop Production and Protection Technology, CPPT (1983, Debre Zeit Junior College of Agriculture, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia), MSc in Horticulture (1992, Plovdiv University of Agriculture, Bulgaria) and PhD in Horticulture (2007, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, Karnataka, India). In addition, he has attended various short-term courses including: Sanitary and Phyto-sanitary issues; Customized Training on Postharvest Management and Research Methods; Resource Management, Leadership and Strategic Planning; Training on Competence based Education (CBE) and Practical Horticulture; Participatory Innovation Development: A Training of Facilitators’ Course; Sustainable Horticultural Production under Climatic Constraints; Sustainable Land Management (SLM), Participatory Curriculum Development, and Transformational Leadership Training.
- Derbew has over 20 years of teaching, research and community service (including advisory/consultancy service) experience in the areas of his expertise (Plant/Crop Sciences in general and Horticulture –fruits and vegetables in particular).
- Successfully supervised and co-supervised 30 MSc and two PhD students.
- Successfully served his host college (JUCAVM)at different positions (Dean, Vice Dan, Coordinator of Research and Postgraduate Program, Agriculture School head, Coordinator of Continuing and Distance Education Program, Student Dan), Successfully coordinated externally funded multi-stakeholder projects:
- (1) The Netherlands Initiative for Capacity development in Higher Education (NICHE) – NICHE/ETH/019, Nuffic supported project on Agribusiness & Value Chain Management wherein eight Ethiopian public universities (Jimma, Haramaya, Hawassa, Ambo, Adama, Wolaita Sodo, Samara, and Bahir Dar Universities) have been implementing (Jimma being a lead university).
- (2) The “Vegetable production technology transfer and income enhancement in Ethiopian highland” funded by the Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) and jointly implemented by KNU (Kangwon National University, Korea) and Jimma University.
- 2010-2013-Editor-in-chief, Ethiopian Journal of Applied Sciences and Technology (EJAST)
- 2014 to date-Associate Editor, Ethiopian Journal of Applied Sciences and Technology (EJAST)
- 2011-2013 -Vice president –Ethiopian Horticultural Science Society (EHSS)
- 2014 to-date – Adviser - Ethiopian Horticultural Science Society (EHSS)
- Actively spearheaded JUCAVM’s involvement in Jimma city beautification program, and Jimma zone soil and water conservation activities. Actively served as committee member on various university-wide task forces.
- Actively served as steering committee member of externally funded projects:
- a) Post-Harvest Management to Improve Livelihoods (PHMIL) Project funded by DFATD (Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development, Canada) and implemented by Faculty of Agriculture, Dalhousie University, McGill University and Jimma University in Jimma, Ethiopia.
- b) “Reduction of Post-Harvest Losses and Value Addition in East African Food Value Chains” (RELOAD) project funded the government of Germany.
- c) Capacity Building for Scaling-up of Evidence Based Best Practices in Agricultural Production in Ethiopia (CASCAPE), funded by the Netherlands.
Awards, Honors and Commissions:
- Certificate - excellence in teaching at Jimma University College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, Jimma, Ethiopia: January, 2008.
- Fellowship- Faculty Exchange Program (August –December, 2008) – USDA -Texas A & M University, USA.
- Fellowship - Sabbatical Leave (September-December 2015), Kangwon National University, Department of Horticulture, Chuncheon, South Korea.
a. Managerial role in projects/institutions/units, etc
- Dean, JUCAVM, November 2010 to September 2015.
- Coordinator, Research, Community based education and Graduate Studies of JUCAVM, September 2009 to November 2010.
- Vice-Dean, JUCAVM, March 2009 to August, 2009.
- Head, School of Agriculture, JUCAVM, March 2008 to March 2009.
- Coordinator, Graduate Program of JUCAVM, November 24, 2007 to August, 2009.
- Coordinator, Continuing and Distance Education Division of JUCAVM from June 2003 to 2004.
- Student Dean, Jimma College of Agriculture, from February 1999 to February 2002.
b. # of publications
- Published a book entitled “Fruit Production in Ethiopia” and over 40 papers in peer reviewed local and international journals.
c. Participations on International Conferences/Workshops with significant roles
- Co-chaired one session of Postharvest Management and Technology for Food Security – International Conference hosted at Jimma University .