Jimma University aspires to be the leading public premier in the country, renown in Africa and recognized in the world.
JU is a center of academic excellence integrating Training, Research and Service.
The University trains higher caliber professionals at undergraduate and post-graduate levels through its cherished and innovative Community Based Education(CBE).
- Train competent and responsive professionals who can address the community's problems through innovative and practical means.
- Promote the philosophy of Community Based Education (CBE) with the aim of bringing about palpable change in the community through active community participation and intersectoral or collaboration.
- Contribute to societal development through the training of responsive professionals, the conduct of high-quality relevant research and professional advocacy.
- Promote the principle of educational equity irrespective of ethnicity, religion, sex and political background.
- Promote women's participation in all spheres of development. Strengthen partner and linkages with local and international institutions for the purpose of rendering high quality training, applied research and services.
- Develop sound organizational and management systems for the accomplishment of its objectives.
- Promote HIV/AIDS as a core strategic issue in all aspects of the university's activity