Department of medical laboratory sciences and pathology is established in 2009 GC by the amalgamation of the former school of medical laboratory technology, (founded in 1987), Department of microbiology, parasitology and immunology, (founded in 1985) Department of pathology (founded in 1985) and Clinical Laboratory unit (founded in 1985) following the recent business process reengineering (BPR) program undertaken by the university. In these redesigning process, Jimma University Specialized Hospital (JUSH) diagnostic laboratory and pathology section are also organised under the umbrella of the Department of medical laboratory sciences and pathology together with the Jimma University Specialized Hospital (JUSH) which is organized under the broader organisation of the College of Public Health and Medical Sciences. Thus, the composition and activities of the MLSP department reflect those of its constituent former departments and units.
The department is one the largest in size and in its composition of staffs drown from the former four merged departments and from Jimma university specialised hospital laboratory and pathology section. It encompasses 72 academic staffs at different level of education (i.e. from Technical Assistants to Professors) who are involved in three different tasks: providing teaching and training at both undergraduate and graduate study level, Actively involving in research and diagnostic
- To train student and produce highly qualified personnel in the area of clinical laboratory science both in the undergraduate and graduate study program
- To train student and produce highly qualified personnel at advanced level in the area of medical parasitology and medical microbiology graduate study program
- To train student and produce highly qualified personnel at advanced level in the clinical pathology speciality diploma program
- To train student in all the area health science disciplines in the college
- Provide quality diagnostic clinical laboratory and pathology service to the community
- To undertake basic research aimed at reducing morbidity and mortality in the community
- To communicate our findings to the scientific community and the general public
Community based education (CBE)
The department is committed to promote community based education (CBE) which is a means of achieving educational relevance to community needs through implementing a community-oriented education program such as Community Based Training Program (CBTP), Team Training Program (TTP), Developmental Team Training Program (DTTP) and Student Research Program (SRP).
The department of medical laboratory science and pathology closely identifies itself with the following professional core values:
Excellence and Quality:
- We strive for excellence in all our programs through a commitment to continuous improvements in training, education, research, professional development, competency assessment.
- Honesty and Integrity:
- We act with honesty and trustworthiness which ensures steadfast adherence to high ethical principles in training tomorrow’s health professionals;
- We ensure that obligations to train health professionals for the service of humanity are met.
Transparency and Accountability:
- We promote open and honest communication, and respect the dignity of all individuals
- We are responsible to our staff, students and stakeholders.
- We maintain and promote high standards of practice in the delivery of quality health care.
- We promote mutual trust between the department and the communities it serves;
- We build professional partnerships through consensus and collaboration.
- We value the equality, dignity, diversity and privacy of all.
- We value, encourage and support members, volunteers and staff.
- We are committed to striving for the highest quality education, research and diagnostic service in the area of clinical laboratory science, Pathology, microbiology and parasitology.
- We foster organizational growth, innovation, and productivity by supporting personal development, empowerment, and a spirit of cooperation among our members.
Community Involvement and Empowerment:
- We are proactive in meeting the needs of our members and our community through our innovative community based educational approach
Networking for Collaboration and Partnership:
- We believe that working with organizations and different actors at different levels has better impact and can serve as a collective forum for sharing wealth of experience, information and resources.
The department staffs are involved in threefold tasks: education, research, and service
One of the prime objective of the department to ensure that the students receive the best possible opportunities to learn, through planning, implementing, monitoring of all the teaching-learning activities. To this end, all the academic staff of the department are organized under six course teams based on their specialty, similarity of courses they handles.
Each teams (subdivision) coordinates and offer a large number of formal courses and practical training to students of an undergraduate and graduate study program in our departments as well as to all other health and health related students of both undergraduate and graduate study programs across the university (Department of pharmacy, Department of medicine and health officer, Department of dentistry, Department of anesthesia, Department of Environmental science, Department of Nurses and other).
Diagnostic laboratory and pathology services:
Following the new BPR reform program of university, Jimma University Specialized Hospital (JUSH) diagnostic laboratory and pathology section are integrated and organized under medical laboratory science and pathology department with the aim of integrating all the fragmented but similar diagnostic services in to one and providing a single point contact, quality services to the clients. Therefore, one JUSH hospital laboratory service teams composed of all the academic staff (20% of working time) and hospital laboratory section staffs are established under the department. The service team is responsible to deliver diagnostic service to in- and out-patients at Jimma university specialized hospital.
JUSH is a teaching hospital which also serves as referral hospital for the south-west region of Ethiopia. The department also works closely with the regional health bureau and involved in many epidemics control when the need arises.