Mission and Vision
JUDO has a mission of furthering excellence in the care of patients with visual disorders and prevention of needless blindness through:
- The provision of a comprehensive range of services for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of visual disorders;
- The provision of postgraduate training in Ophthalmology, undergraduate training in Cataract Surgery, and continuing medical education opportunities;
- Basic, applied clinical, and outcomes-related research into vision problems, reinvestment of revenues generated through the cost contribution and private wing for sustainability of the ophthalmic programs, and
- The development of effective partnerships with other sister institutions at home and abroad, donors, interest groups and agencies interested in addressing vision care needs in the country in general and in south western part of the country in particular
JUDO aspires to see Ethiopia free of avoidable or treatable blindness.
To this end, it strives to:
- Create a healthy productive society
- Create advanced, comprehensive academic health science with a campus culture of learning & discovery
- Produce skilled professionals, specialists in eye health who are able to deliver total quality eye care for the public
- Produce adequate number of Eye Care providers who are able to reverse the sad reality & promote eye health
- Provide high level eye care service to the community which is affordable & accessible
- Conduct basic research to answer our problems
Staffs at JUDO are committed to providing high quality patient care, education and trainings, and research within a spirit of compassionate and scholarly inquiry. JUDO maintains equity of the service to the people and medical professional ethics and loyalty to the profession.
JUDO believes that sight is only next to life. Sight problem is closely linked with other diseases & mortality. It has economical & social impact on the individual, the community & the nation at large. Care and restoration of eyesight is also essential to achieve the Millennium development goals [MDGs] as it contributes to eradication of extreme poverty & hunger and reduced child mortality.