Detailed information about all programs offered by the Department (Regular, Evening, Distance)
The Department offers under graduate program leading to the Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degrees in Animal Sciences.
Program Name: BSc in Animal Science
Objective of the Program
- To produce Animal Sciences graduates equipped with the necessary knowledge, skills and attitude to render service to a thriving and modern animal sector
- To carry out basic and applied research with the aim of increasing animal productivity
- To extend knowledge and skills to the farming communities for purposes of improving animal production
- To render consultancy services to both public and private sectors in matters relating to animal production.
Admission/Entry criteria (For Undergraduate program)
- Successful completion of the Ethiopian Secondary Preparatory School (10+2 program)
- Placement as advance standing.
- Applicants of Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) must pass written entrance examination.
Graduate Study Programme
Graduate programs leading to the Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree provide advanced education and technical training in preparation for careers in public and private sectors related to animal production, dairy cattle production, meat animal production, poultry production and apiculture. A minimum of 24 credit hours beyond the bachelor's degree and a thesis describing original research are required. Students pursuing the M.S. degree achieve specialization in a particular discipline through course work and completion of an original research project under the supervision of a faculty advisor. All M.Sc. candidates must complete and defend a written thesis based upon results of their research.
Admission Requirements (For Graduate program)
The Department of Animal Sciences makes admissions decisions based on the compatibility of the applicant's goals with departmental resources, the availability of spaces for new students, and a holistic evaluation of the applicant's potential for success in the program. Other considerations will routinely include entrance examination scores, grade point averages, and letters of recommendation; and might also include interviews. To be considered for admission, the applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
- The applicant must hold a bachelor's degree in animal science, Veterinary medicine, biological or related life science from an accredited Ethiopian, or the equivalent from an international institution.
- Must pass entrance examination in the field of the study
- The applicant must academically performed good at the institution last attended.
- The successful applicant normally will have a grade point average (GPA) of at least >2.0 in undergraduate course work.
- Applicants who hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution whose instruction is in English.
- Applicants are required to have three letters of recommendation forwarded to the Graduate Program from their under graduate instructors, employers and professionals who can attest to the applicant's scholarly aptitude, and provide insight into the applicant's qualifications and potential for success as a scientist/educator following completion of a graduate program.
- Produce letter indicating sponsorship for their research work or sign an agreement if self sponsored.
A candidate who has had a Diploma in a relevant subject with an outstanding CGPA of 3.5 and above, rich experience and passes the entrance examination may be considered for admission provided that she/he takes additional courses from the undergraduate program as determined by the Council of Graduate Studies. In this case, the candidate will have to take courses for a minimum of three semesters
Upon completion of the MSc. program, the graduates are expected to:
- Identify, prioritize and analyze problems related to Animal Sciences
- Carry out guided research in the area of his/her field of study.
- Disseminate new applicable technologies in animal product value chain for the benefit of society.
- Monitor impact of animal production on the environment and design environmentally friendly animal production systems.
- Provide consultancy services to different stakeholders
- Apply proper methods of raising farm animals as a producer and/or advisor
- Teach in academic and training institutions
- Establish, manage and run private and commercial livestock and bee farms.