Dr. Fikre Lemessa
Name: Dr. Fikre Lemessa
Academic Rank: Associate Professor
Field of Specialization: Plant Science (BSc), Plant Pathology (MSc), Horticulture/Plant Pathology (PhD)
Research Interest: Plant Bacteriology, Disease Epidemiology, Host Pathogen Interaction, Integrated Pest Management, Tea production and Processing, Floriculture
List of Publications:
I. Peer Reviewed Journal:
- Mulatu Wakjira, Lammert Bastiaans and Fikre Lemessa (2012). Allelopathic potential of cover crops for ecological weed management in coffee production systems in Ethiopia. Plant and Soil (in press).
- Sihen Getachew, Girma Adugna, Fikre Lemessa and H. Hindorf (2012). Coffee wilt disease (Gibberella xyalrioides Heimand Saccas) in forest coffee systems of southwest and southeast Ethiopia. Plant Pathology Journal (in press)
- Fikre Lemessa, Waktole Sori and Mulatu Wakjira (2011). Association between angular leaf spot (Phaeoisariopsis griseola (Sacc.) Ferraris) and common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) yield loss at Jimma, southwestern Ethiopia. Plant Pathology Journal 10 (2): 57-65.
- Amsalu Abera, Fikre Lemessa and Diriba Muleta (2011). The antifungal activity of some medicinal plants against coffee berry disease caused by Colletotrichum kahawae. International Journal of Agricultural Research 6(3): 268-279.
- Gezahegn Berecha, Fikre Lemessa and Mulatu Wakjira (2011). Exploring the suitability of coffee pulp compost as growth media substitute in greenhouse production. International Journal of Agricultural Research 6(3): 255-267.
- G.B. Yadessa, AHC. Van Bruggen and Fikre L. Ocho (2010). Effects of different soil amendements on bacterial wilt caused by Ralstonia solanacearum and yield of tomato. Journal of Plant Pathology, 92(2) 429-440.
- Fikre Lemessa, Wolfgang Zeller and Dereje Negeri (2010). Genetic diversity of strains of Ralstonia solanacearum from Ethiopia assessed by repetitive sequence-based polymerase chain reaction (rep-PCR). Ethiopian Journal of Applied Sciences and Technology 1(1):17-26.
- Fikre Lemessa and Wolfgang Zeller (2007). Pathogenic characterisation of strains of Ralstonia solanacearum from Ethiopia and influence of plant age on susceptibility of hosts against R. solanacearum. Journal of Plant Diseases and Protection 114 (6): 241-249.
- Fikre Lemessa and Wolfgang Zeller (2007). Screening rhizobacteria for biological control of Ralstonia solanacearum in Ethiopia. Biological Control 42: 336-344.
- Fikre Lemessa and Wolfgang Zeller (2007). Isolation and characterization of Ralstonia solanacearum strains from Solanaceae crops in Ethiopia. Journal of Basic Microbiology 47: 40-49.
- Fikre Lemessa and Abush Tesfaye (2005). Evaluation of bean (Pahseolus vulgaris) genotypes for multiple resistances to angular and floury leaf spot diseases. Tropical Science 45: 48-51.
- Fikre Lemessa (2004). Effects of intercropping and cultivar mixtures on bean diseases and yield. Pest Management Journal of Ethiopia 8:71-81.
II. Conference proceedings:
- Fikre Lemessa (2000). Host range and biology of Altica pyritosa Erich var. impyritosa Wiese (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae), a potential biological weed control agent. A paper presented on the 8th Annual Conference of Crop protection Society of Ethiopia (CPSE), 10-11 August 2000, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Fikre Lemessa (1999). Altica pyritosa Erich var impyritosa Wiese (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) as a potential biological weed control agent. In: Arem. The 6th Annual Conference of the Ethiopian Weed Science Society (EWSS), 25-26 November 1999, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Fikre Lemessa and Mengistu Hulluka (1999). Effect of bean cultivar mixtures on severity of bean rust and common bacterial blight. (Abstract). pp. 16. In: Seventh Annual Conference of Crop Protection Society of Ethiopia, 5-6 August 1999, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Amsalu Ayana and Fikre Lemessa (1996). Agronomic and genetic improvement of castor bean (Ricinus communis L.) under Jimma conditions. (Abstract). pp. 11. In: Proceedings of the Workshop on the 2nd Cycle Local Research Grant. March 1996, Ethiopian Science and Technology Commission, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Mashilla Dejene and Fikre Lemessa (1991). Coffee, tea and spices protection in Ethiopia. pp. 50-58. In: Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Production Constraint Assessment of Coffee, Tea and Spices (CTS). 11-17 November 1991, Jimma College of Agriculture, Jimma, Ethiopia.