Historical Background

Jimma University College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine (JUCAVM) was established in 1952 as Jimma Agricultural Technical School (JATS) following the agreement signed between the United States of America and the Imperial Ethiopian Government under the joint affiliation of Ethiopian Ministry of Education (MoE) and the Oklahoma State University (former Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College) for the period between 1952 and 1956. From 1956 to 1968, the school was jointly administered under the Ethiopian Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) and the Oklahoma State University. Following the termination of the agreement with the Oklahoma State University, the school was under the exclusive administration of the Ethiopian MoA for the period 1968 to 1979 and it was renamed as Jimma Institute of Agriculture (JIA). From 1979 to 1990, the institute was under the administration of Commission for Higher Education and the naming was once again tailored to Jimma Junior College of Agriculture (JJCA).

At the end of 1990, the affiliation of the college was under the Higher Education Main Department (HEMD) with a name Jimma College of Agriculture (JCA). In 1994, the college was once again transferred back to the Ethiopian Ministry of Education (MoE) until the year 1999 that marked the amalgamation of Jimma Institute of Health Sciences (founded in 1983) and Jimma College of Agriculture (JCA) as cofounders of Jimma University.

Eventually, with the expansion of the college and launch of new training program in Veterinary Medicine in 2003, the college was renamed as Jimma University College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine (JUCAVM).