Jimma University Laboratory of Drug Quality (JuLaDQ) was established in 2009/10 as part of IUC-JU collaborative research program between Jimma University and consortium of Flemish Universities from Belgium and became operational since 2011. The establishment began in collaboration with Laboratory of Drug Quality and Registration (DruQuaR) of Ghent University, 9000-Ghent, Belgium.
Currently JuLaDQ is one of the institutes in Jimma University that is being engaged in research and provision of pharmaceutical quality testing service using the conventional dichotomous approach (pharmacopoeial assay, dosage form uniformity, disintegration and dissolution tests, hardness and friability test) and the innovative analytical quality-by-design (aQbD) risk-based desirability function approach on essential medicines with particular emphasis on antimicrobials and medicines used for infectious diseases: neglected tropical diseases/STH, malaria, tuberculosis (TB) and HIV/AIDS. Moreover, JuLaDQ is involved in the discovery and development of new drugs for infectious diseases using the QbD approaches.
JuLaDQ has a well established quality system based on quality management guidelines of WHO and ISO/IEC 17025 where the processes of prequalification and accreditation are on good progress. It has fit-for-purpose qualified personnel and high-tech analytical equipments including High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Gas Chromatography, ultrapure water purification system, UV-Visible Spectrophotometer, solid-phase extraction (SPE) system, drugs stability chamber, dissolution apparatus, disintegration test, and tablet hardness and friability test apparatuses.
JuLaDQ comprises of:
- Quality Assurance Section
- Physicochemical Testing Section
- Microbiological Testing Section
- Natural Product Section
- Training Section
- Administrative Section
JuLaDQ has established strong collaborations with both national (e.g. FMHACA) and international institutions (e.g. WHO, Ghent University Laboratory of Drug Quality and Registration (DruQuaR)-Belgium).
To be recognized as a global leader in pharmaceutical analytical research, training and services
To provide excellent research, teaching, and service capabilities and systems to support regulatory compliance with new and existing medicines
To establish a sustainable research, training and service framework for the discovery, development and risk-based testing of medicines for both human and veterinary use at Jimma University to attain better health and improve quality of life.
The objectives of JuLaDQ are:
- To provide a GLP/GMP compliant accredited pharmaceutical analytical facility for research, training and service in pharmaceutical quality assurance and control (QA & QC) and other related regulatory activities.
- To supplement the teaching and practical training of undergraduate and postgraduate programs in the country.
- To provide the required support to pre-clinical and clinical development of potential new medicines and drug delivery systems
- To provide an independent laboratory for analysis and quality control of human and veterinary pharmaceutical, biotechnological, and complementary medicines available in Ethiopia and other countries.
HPLC equipments at JuLaDQ
After a symposium on Quality pharmaceutical Drugs: from order to patient.