The Institute of Biotechnology Research aspires to be center of excellence in molecular, cellular, pharmaceutical, plant biotechnology research in Ethiopia, renown in African and recognized in the world.
The mission of the institute is to contribute to the holistic development of the country by advancing excellence in molecular, cellular, pharmaceutical and plant research through integration of research, training and service. Hence, it undertakes multidisciplinary studies, training and service.
- To undertake advanced basic and applied research with regard to molecular, cellular, pharmaceutical and plant sciences.
- To help /support the diagnostic and treatment service/quality of the care for humans and animals.
- To collaborate on joint training and research projects with different partners at different levels (national and overseas organizations)
- To provide short term and to support long term trainings in molecular, cellular, pharmaceutical and plant sciences in collaboration with partners at different levels (national and overseas organizations).
- To initiate and secure local and foreign research grants and donations.
- To disseminate research findings to different stakeholders.
Institute of Biotechnology Research is composed of three research centers:
- Molecular Biology Research Center
- Mycobacteriology Research Center
- Animal and Plant Biotechnology Research Center