• The Department of English Language and Literature, as it is called now, took its inception in 1983 as a two-man English Language Teaching Unit along with other units working in the then Department of Pre-medicine, later renamed as the Department of Natural and Social Sciences.
• The department also began to run two other programs at different levels. It offered B.ED degree courses to extension and summer students and a diploma course to extension students.
• Currently, it runs training programs at various levels: BA degree program for English Language and Literature for regular, summer and distance students and two MA programs in TEFL and in Literature. Short Term Training of Arbaic Language is also being given in the department.
• The department has now reached a high level of performance involving more than thirty (30) qualified instructors with MA degrees and two instructors with PhD, one in Literature and the other in TEFL.
• There are also over 30 staff members who are pursuing masters and PhD programs. Of these, two members are undertaking their studies at master’s degree level and close to thirty staff members doing their PhD studies. Of the latter staff members, five are working on literature at PhD level.
Objectives of the Department
1.to train English Language professionals for various competencies and occupational purposes;
2.to train middle and high level professionals in English Language and Literature both at undergraduate and post graduate levels;
3.to produce well qualified professional teachers of English language, consultants and researchers.
4.to extend the programs so as to address the need of professionals in various fields in the department
Mission and vision of the department
The Department of English Language and Literature in Jimma University works towards achieving the mission of the country at large and university in particular by producing qualified individuals with the required competence.
Future plan(strategic direction)
future plan(stExpanding various MA and PhD programs in the department (MA in Applied Linguistics, MA in General Linguistics, MA in Interlingual and Intercultural Studies,, MA in Journalism, PhD in TEFL, PhD in Literature, PhD in General Linguistics, PhD in Applied Linguistics)rategic direction)
Management structure: list of chairs, coordinators, etc
Head of Department, Course Team Leaders, Department Graduate Committee
Service offered by the department
1. Offering common courses to all departments of the university
2. Preparing short term trainings on languages and language teachings
E-mail: email@example.com Tel: +251 471111251