Objectives of the Programme
- To produce experts in Oromo Folklore so that Oromo culture can be understood, appreciated and enlivened;
- To train professionals who can enrich Oromo Folklore studies by making data accessible to those who want to learn more about the Oromo;
- To bridge the gap between the original Oromo wisdom and modern scholarship to benefit present generation by cultivating their understanding of the real world;
- To train professionals in Oromo Folklore and Culture who can independently collect, document, transcribe, categorize, analyze, digitize and preserve cultural elements;
- To produce potential and competent candidates that can rigorously study and bring Oromo indigenous knowledge to the world of scholarship;
- To help the present and future generations learn from the knowledge of their forefathers;
- To promote the understanding of the youth about cultural values of their own people and enable them to appreciate and develop the feeling of love and belongingness towards them;
- To promote the trainees’ cognitive, affective and psychomotor domains;
- To sharpen the wits of the trainees by empowering them with critical thinking abilities;
- To equip the trainees with moral and ethical values of various specific research methodology, which are necessary for carrying out investigations in folklore appropriately;
- To engender personnel who could participate in and contribute to social services and community- based activities such as health, education, economy and other related fields;
- To encourage other ethnic and linguistic groups to establish similar sister programs in the universities in order to contribute together to Ethiopian folklore and cultural development.
Potential candidates who join the Department should fulfil some or all of the following criteria:
- Scoring pass mark in preparatory examination as per FDRE Education Ministry regulations;
- Those who have earned diploma from teachers training institutions in languages and have the inclination and the potential to analyze cultural materials and appreciate cultures and traditions are accepted on the basis of Advanced Standing Level.
- Any degree or diploma holder in the fields of social sciences and humanities like history, geography, sociology, language, anthropology, philosophy and other social sciences and business qualifications or certifications at post high school level are also eligible.
- Reading, speaking and writing in Afaan Oromo is compulsory for all the candidates.
At the end of the program, graduates from the Oromo Folklore and Literature possess the following knowledge, skills, attitudes.
- Retain knowledge, skills and techniques of cultural studies so that they can distinguish the significance or strong & weak sides and able to set criteria to study each one of them separately.
- Collect, classify, analyze, interpret, digitize and preserve Oromo cultural elements;
- Create archival centers, libraries and museums for Oromo studies and work in them to provide relevant information about the Oromo;
- Conduct socio-cultural researches; store the results in various libraries, archives and museums; dispatch them to consumers and upload them on web pages;
- Establish Oromo folklore journals and distribute them to consumers;
- Communicate the investigation results to mass audience and specialists in the various fields who live and work with the society;
- Contribute to Oromo creative works or literary studies and other types of writing;
- Contribute to the teaching of Oromo folklore and culture in various institutions;
- Translate and communicate Oromo Folklore and culture to speakers of other languages;
- Produce documentary films on the basis of folklore genres.
The graduates must fulfil the following basic requirements:
1.A minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 2:00;
2.A minimum CGPA of 2:00 in the major areas of study;
3.Completion of a minimum of total of 109Credit Hours or 180 ECTS;
4.There must be no “F” grade; and senior essay write-up as a partial fulfillment for the requirement of the B.A degree.
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Oromo Folklore (Cultural Studies) and Literature in English and in Amharic will be offered to students after successful completion of the program
Click here to Download the course Breakdown