Community Based Education (CBE) & Partnership
- The What of Community Based Education and Partnership Coordinating Office
Community Based Education and Partnership (CBE) is one of the coordinating offices in College of Social Sciences and Humanities of Jimma University that predominantly works in linking the university/college with the community. It is the philosophy of the university which is a means of achieving educational relevance to the community needs and an alternative way for the trainees to apply the theory they are exposed to in the courses they have taken. Put another way, CBE impalements a community oriented educational program which consists of learning activities that uses the community extensively as a learning environment, in which not only students but also teachers, members of the community and representatives of other sectors and stakeholders are actively involved throughout the educational experience. To this end, the core philosophy of the university encompasses:
- Community based and problem oriented education
- Multi-disciplinary training research
- Integrated training and research
2. Objectives of CBE
The objective of Community Based Education of college of Social Sciences is to:
- train professional of the college in diverse field of studies such as language, history, geography and environmental studies, Sociology and social work and other areas of social science and humanities.
- to encourage a team approach to solve social, language, cultural –in general human, environmental and Social problems
- work with local community with earnest commitment
- undertake problems based research activities taking into consideration the priority needs of the community
3. Strategies of CBE of College of Social Sciences and Humanities
The strategy of CBE of college of social sciences and humanities stems from the strategy of the university (Jimma University). The CBE of college of social science operates having three strategies which are expected to take 20% of time allotted for the overall curricula. The strategies include:
- Community Based Education Program (CBTP)
- Development Team Training Program (DTTP)
- Community Based Student’s Research Program (SRP)
Though it is young as compared to other college which have gone a head in CBE, there are commendable activities performed by our college. Below are some activities performed by students.
- Postgraduate students of Psychology department went for their DTTP field work in Jimma Correctional and Rehabilitation Center and solved some of the problems of the community. What is more, one office is given from the centre where students studying counseling practice and also give counseling for the prisoners.
- A museum which was established last year (2014) is renewed and on the way to serves as resource center for Oromo Folklore studies and history and heritage management students and social anthropology students. Verities of art facts are being collected from the community and are also planned to be collected by history and folklore students.
- Postgraduate students of Law School, English Language and Literature and Governance and Development Studies identified the problem of a community of groups who have hearing impairment and solved some of their problem. On the date of the symposium the CBE office of the then college of Social Sciences and Law facilitated the Institution to create partnership with the department of Sociology for sustainably.
- In 2014/15 students specializing in Oromo Folklore and Cultural Studies, History and Heritage management and Social Anthropology prioritized a site that is historically important and that has a huge potential for echo-tourism. It is having an objective of identifying problems, prioritizing them and planning an action to intervene that postgraduate students prioritized a site that is historically important and that has a huge potential for echo-tourism.
It is after several attempts that the students determined to reach at the site as the site is in between the steep slope of the two twine maintains. The students explored at least eleven caves two of which are very wide and even in one of them one can cross a maintain (walking inside)to the other side of the mountain. A legend goes that a person called Hussen Abba Tiba used to fortify in one of the caves and fought the soldiers of Emperor Haile Sellasie refusing to pay a tribute which the former believed was unfair. If an infrastructure is developed for it and the diverse ecosystem is take care of, the site that the students explored, will make Jimma town one of the best eco-tourist center. Attached is the video of the eco-tourist center identified.
The college CBE, though young of its age, has made remarkable progresses in training, research and service provisions to the community.
The following are some of DTTP activities performed by PG students of Psychology
As the very philosophy of CBE is practical oriented, below are some of the activities performed which depicts that we are in the community. The activities are portrayed pictorially and are performed since 2014.