Jimma University Specialized Hospital (JUSH).
Jimma University specialized hospital (JUSH) is one of the oldest public hospitals in the country. It was established in 1937(1930 E.C) by Italian conquerors for the service of their soldiers. After the withdrawal of the colonial conquerors, it has been running as public hospital under the Ministry of Health by different names at different times. At first, it was called “Ras Desta Damtew hospital” after the name of an Ethiopian patriot during Italian occupation. Later it was renamed “Jimma hospital” during the Dergue regime and currently become “Jimma University specialized hospital” after the transfer of its ownership from Oromiya regional health bureau to Jimma University under federal ministry of education. Geographically, it is located in Jimma city 350 km southwest of Addis Ababa.
Though old for its age, it had not made remarkable physical facility improvement for years. However, after it become a training center for the then Jimma institute of health sciences(the current Jimma university) some side-wing buildings were constructed by different stakeholders at different times to respond to the ever-growing demand of service and clinical teaching. Especially, after transfer of its ownership to Jimma University, the university has made relentless efforts in renovating the old buildings and constructing new expansions by the support of external stakeholders.
Currently it is the only teaching and referral hospital in the southwestern part of the country. Its recurrent budget allocation showed progressive increment from 4.25 million Birr in 1992 E.C (2000 G.C) to 24.06 million Birr in 2002 E.C (2010 G.C). It provides specialized health services through its 9 medical and other clinical and diagnostic departments for approximately 9000 inpatients and 80000 outpatients each year with bed capacity of 450 and a total of more than 550 staff.
Cognizant of the growing service and teaching demand that the hospital is facing from its key customers, the federal government considered a years’ request for construction of a new and level- best hospital which’s basement was started in 2008 and expected to be completed in 3 years time with a capital of 230 million Birr from government budget.
Jimma university specialized hospital (JUSH) is committed to reduce morbidity, mortality and disability and improve health status of the local people through providing a comprehensive package of high quality curative, preventive, promotive and rehabilitative health service to the public and providing clinical education to the next physicians, nurses, medical laboratory technologists, pharmacists and other clinical & public health students in collaboration with respective stakeholders. It does this with an empowered workforce in an environment that values staff professionalism, respects of patients’ rights and upholds human dignity at all times. With its partners and within available resources, it contributes to the development of health services, research and education in Ethiopia”.
We envision to be recognized the hospital of choice by placing patients at the centre of everything we do, based on principles of quality and safety, access and accountability and continuous improvement where the future generation learns best clinical skill that makes competitive professional in the market.
Our values form the emotional heartbeat of our organization and apply to everybody irrespective of rank. All employees must relate to these values and they will be instilled to each and every employee and they all shall always LIVE by them. These values are:
- Community first: We are here for nothing but to serve and satisfy our community.
- Quality Care: effective, respectful, responsive, reliable, efficient and timely.
- Compassion: deep understanding of and empathy for the suffering and concerns of others.
- Accountability: Being responsible and accountable for the outcome of services we provide.
- Knowledge: up-to—date knowledge that leads to global as well as individual transformations.
- Openness: make the system open to the world of ideas and global change.
- Access: make access easy for clients to reach to services.
- Collaboration: work with stakeholders in problem-solving, and innovation.
- Caring relationships: establish caring relationship with our patients, students and colleagues.
- To provide quality medical service to patients and others customers
- To train undergraduate and post graduate medical and health stream students
- To harmonize teamwork among paramedical, public health, medical departments and trainees.
- To arrange presentations and practical works to staffs.
- To equip departments and laboratories with appropriate instruments and equipment.
- To set standards for hospital management by adopting MOH hospital management standards.
- To reform JUSH administration systems.
- To improve administrative and logistic services.
- To make standard examination and evaluation system for students.
- To prepare Clinical management guidelines to be used by staffs and students.
- Boosting up income generation and management capacity to sustain sufficient financial base to support achieving high quality service, teaching, research.