Jimma University Specialized Hospital (JUSH) is one of the oldest public hospitals in the country. It was established in 1930 E.C by Italian invaders for the service of their soldiers. Geographically, it is located in Jimma city 352 km southwest of Addis Ababa. After the withdrawal of the colonial occupants, it has been governed under the Ethiopian government by the name of “Ras Desta Damtew Hospital” and later “Jimma Hospital "during Dergue regime and currently Jimma University Specialized Hospital.
Though old for its age, it had not made remarkable physical facility improvement for years. However in the later times it became evident that some side-wing buildings were constructed by different stakeholders at different times to respond to the ever-growing pressure of service demand and clinical teaching need derived from the public and Jimma University respectively. Especially, after transfer of its ownership to Jimma University, the university has made relentless efforts in extensive renovation and expansion work to make the hospital conducive for service, teaching and research.
Currently it became the only teaching and referral hospital in the southwestern part of the country. It runs an annual governmental budget of 25.06 million Birr with bed capacity of 450 and a total of more than 750 staffs of both supportive and professional. It provides services for approximately 9000 inpatient and 80000 outpatient attendances a year coming to our hospital from the catchment population of about 15,000 million people.
Cognizant of the fast growing service and teaching role of the hospital, the federal govermnemt considered construction of a new and level- best hospital which’s basement started in 2008 and expected to be completed in 3 years time with a capital of 230 million Birr.
To reduce morbidity, mortality and disability and improve health status of the local people through providing comprehensive package of curative, preventive, promotive and rehabilitative care to the public and providing clinical teaching for health professionals in collaboration with all stakeholders.
To be the best quality care, Clinical teaching and health research center in the country.
Our values form the emotional heartbeat of our organization and apply to everybody irrespective of rank. All employees must relate to these values and they will be instilled to each and every employee and they all shall always LIVE by them. These values are:
- We are here for nothing but to serve and satisfy our community.
- We treat them as we would like to be treated.
- We have three priorities: Community, Community, Community
- We work together in sprit of mutual support and understanding to achieve our collective goals through teamwork.
- No matter what challenges we face and discomforts we feel, we stand firm, be patient and exert our utmost and sustained effort to achieve our goals
- We innovate new ways of doing things and be open minded to reforms.
We ensure maximum vulnerability and integrity to each other.
Continued Medical Education
- Encouraging and achieving excellence, continual learning and improvement
Accountability and Responsibility
- Being responsible and accountable for the outcome of services we provide
- Treating people with integrity and in a friendly, trusting and respectful manner and environment